Wednesday, December 15, 2010

How to Be Happy!

We all seem to have a natural tendency to try to grab what is most pleasing to ourselves. How can I get more money? How can I get more stuff? How can I get nicer stuff? How can I get a nicer house? How can I get a better car? How can I be better looking? How can I live longer? How can I get more friends? How can I get cooler friends? How can I find something fun to do? How can I get to go on the vacation I want? How can I get a better job? I'm sure you can find some personal favorites to add here.

But, doing these things is the surest way to make yourself unhappy. If you take the attitude in the previous paragraph, you'll never be satisfied. You'll always want more, and you'll feel depressed, frustrated and mistreated that you can't get it.

It's really ironic. The quickest way to get unhappy is to try to find things/ways to make yourself happy.

There's only one path to happiness and contentment: Surrender your will to God! Think outwardly, not inwardly. How can I please God? How can I do what God wants me to do? How can I have the faith God wants me to have? How can I love and serve others? What is God's will for my life? How can I make prayer a bigger part of my life? How can I contribute to my church? How can I spend more time with the Bible?

Living your life for God frees yourself from the frustrating and pointless task of chasing the world's pursuits.

"Jesus said, 'If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.' " -John 8:31-33

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." -Philippians 4:11-13

"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want...But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires." -Galatians 5:16-17, 22-24

Hand your life completely and fully over to the Good Lord Almighty, and you'll be setting your foot on the path to contentment!

No comments: